New York City Sports Betting
With limited opportunities for retail sports betting within the five boroughs of the Big Apple, and the prohibition on online sports betting yet to be lifted, New Yorkers have had to use shady offshore bookies or cross over into New Jersey to place their wagers.
That all over soon as New York has launched online sports betting. That means residents of America's biggest city need to prepare. We've put together this helpful little guide to help you get ready once the action is underway.
Best NYC Sports Betting Sites
In advance of the laws officially being initiated, 9 sportsbooks have been granted licenses to launch as soon as possible. The full list includes Bally Bet, BetMGM, BetRivers, Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, PointsBet, Resorts World Bet, and WynnBET.
While those operators have been approved, only PointsBet, FanDuel, Caesars, BetMGM, DraftKings, and BetRivers are currently available.
We've power ranked some of the top options available, specifically for New York City bettors, so take a look and put yourself in the best position to succeed at kick-off.
Best Sites for NYC Sports Betting
- FanDuel Sportsbook - Retail at Meadowlands Race Track
- Caesars Sportsbook - Partnered with Rangers and Knicks
- PointsBet - Fun ways to bet on New York teams
- BetMGM - Great Parlay betting
- DraftKings Sportsbook - DFS and sports betting
- WynnBET - Jets' sponsor
- BetRivers - In-person in Schenectady
- Bally Bet - Solid on iPhone
- Resorts World Bet - Not live yet
Best NYC Sportsbooks
Risk Free Bet of up to $1,000
AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/MI/LA/NH/NJ/ NY/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only.
100% Deposit Match up to $1,500
2 Risk Free Bets of up to $2,000
Risk Free Bet of up to $1,000
Deposit Bonus of up to $1,000
AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/NH/NJ/NY/OR/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only.
Bet $10, Win $200
Deposit Bonus of up to $250
$100 Free Bet with a $550 Risk Free Bet
NYC's Best Sports Betting Site
FanDuel Sportsbook has a sterling reputation as one of the country's very best sportsbooks. With daily promotions, an outstanding mobile app, and the best Same Game Parlay experience on the market, that reputation is well-earned.
We believe the following reasons make FanDuel the best sportsbook for NYC bettors:
- Closest retail sportsbook to the city - Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey
- Partnership with WNBA's New York Liberty
- Availability in neighboring states New Jersey and Connecticut
If any of these reasons tickle your fancy, you might just be in business to start betting with FanDuel Sportsbook.
Retail Sports Betting in NYC
At the time of this writing, New York City is not home to any retail sportsbooks. The closest geographical sportsbook is Meadowlands Racetrack in East Rutherford, NJ.
That sportsbook is operated by FanDuel Sportsbook, so you can use your FanDuel account there. FanDuel Sportsbook is one of the approved sports betting sites in New York, so this is a major convenience.
If you want to stay in-state, Resorts World Cat Skills is your best bet. It's about a 2-hour drive from the city, and their sportsbook is operated by Bet365. Bet365 is one of our favorite sportsbooks in America but is currently not available in New York.
Of course, Resorts World will launch its very own online sportsbook to coincide with the beginning of online sports betting becoming legal in New York. How this affects the Catskills' location relationship with Bet365 remains to be seen, but we feel comfortable speculating that the new Resorts World Bet online sportsbook will have some tie-in with the brick-and-mortar location.
In other regions of the country, partnerships between pro teams and sportsbooks have often evolved into arenas hosting in-person sports betting lounges in conjunction with their sportsbook sponsor.
In a virtually untapped New York City market, we can look to some of the sponsorships currently in the works with major New York teams to speculate on what might unfold in the future. In particular, Caesars Sportsbook's partnership with MSG Sports and Entertainment (which owns Madison Square Garden, the Knicks, and the Rangers) should be watched with particular interest.
NYC Sports Betting Sponsorships
One of the biggest changes in sports culture in recent years has been the wholehearted embrace of gambling by major teams and leagues across the country. What was once taboo has reached an acceptance rate of just about 100% with US sports leagues.
Before sports betting is even launched in New York, many of the city's teams have partnered up with a sportsbook.
- New York Knicks (NBA) - Caesars Sportsbook
- Brooklyn Nets (NBA) - Betway
- New York Jets (NFL) - WynnBET
- New York Giants (NFL) - DraftKings Sportsbook
- New York Islanders (NHL) - Betway
- New York Rangers (NHL) - Caesars Sportsbook
- New York Liberty (WNBA) - FanDuel Sportsbook
This will certainly have a major impact on who gains an early race to become the Big Apple's most popular sportsbook and is certainly something to keep in mind when choosing a betting site.
Many arenas and stadiums across the country now host in-house sportsbooks, so there's a solid chance these partnerships could evolve into on-site betting houses in the not-too-distant future.
Caesars Sportsbook NYC
Partner of MSG
While many sportsbooks have invested in advertising opportunities with New York teams, Caesars Sportsbook has been notably aggressive.
Caesars has teamed up with Madison Square Garden to become the official sports betting partner of the Knicks and Rangers. Clearly, a massive move that will improve Caesar's standing in the hearts and minds of New Yorkers, and could even lead to a future retail sportsbook in the Mecca itself.
NYC Sports Betting Sites in New Jersey
DraftKings Sportsbook is the most widely available betting site in the country. It's legal states include New Jersey, Connecticut, and soon New York
Of course, New York City is also a city with a ton of commuters. I know I couldn't afford to live in Brooklyn even if my 8-leg parlays hit every week of the NFL season (unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to put this theory to the test).
The good news is that many of New York City's approved sportsbooks are already available in New Jersey! If you've been crossing the Hudson to circumvent the restrictions, then there's a good chance that you have already created an account with one of these books.
It's really convenient to choose one of these sportsbooks if you're frequently going back and forth between the states since you'll only need one account to access all of your sports betting needs.
New York City Sportsbooks Also in NJ
- Caesars Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
Top 5 NYC Sports Betting Sites available in New Jersey
NYC Sports Betting Sites in Connecticut
While it may be a little less common, there are also plenty of commuters from Connecticut every day. Like New Jersey, Connecticut's legal online sports betting infrastructure predates New York's, but not by much.
Connecticut only recently enabled those in the states to legally bet in the fall of 2021. That means FanDuel and DraftKings Sportsbooks are the only available sports betting sites available in the state at the moment.
Luckily for Connecticut-NYC commuters, both of those sportsbooks will also be available in New York! So, if you're frequently moving between those two states, it might behoove you to pick one of those two options.
NYC Sports Betting Sites available in Connecticut
America's Most Popular Sportsbook
At the start of New Jersey's revolutionary legal online sports betting program in 2018, DraftKings Sportsbook was Johnny-on-the-spot and the very first legal betting app available to American bettors.
They haven't let up since, quickly expanding to more states than any of their competitors. At this time users in the following states can take advantage of DraftKings Sportsbook from the privacy of their own homes:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
And, of course, New York will soon be added to this ever-expanding list. If you're frequently on-the-go, then DraftKings Sportsbook is a great option for you.
NYC Sports Betting FAQ
When will sports betting be legal in New York City?
January 8th. Over the course of 2021, the laws and regulations have been established so legal sports betting could launch in time for the Super Bowl in February. This goal has been accomplished, and you can sign up and start placing wagers today!
What sportsbooks are available in New York City?
At launch, the following 9 sportsbooks will be allowed to launch in New York:
- Bally Bet (Coming Soon)
- BetMGM (Available Now!)
- BetRivers (Available Now!)
- Caesars Sportsbook (Available Now!)
- DraftKings Sportsbook (Available Now!)
- FanDuel Sportsbook (Available Now!)
- PointsBet (Available Now!)
- Resorts World Bet (Coming Soon)
- WynnBET (Available Now!)
While not all of these books are accepting wagers at this time, all have been recommended for licensing by the New York gaming board
Where to bet on sports in NYC?
Currently, there is no in-person sportsbook available in New York City. The closest retail sportsbook is about 30 minutes outside of the city at the Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey. This is operated by FanDuel Sportsbook.
How did you rank the NYC sports betting sites?
This was a more specialized list, so we took special care to personalize it as much as possible for New York City bettors. Some of the special criteria we took into consideration in this ranking included:
- Retail sportsbook availability near the city
- Partnerships with local teams
- Availability in neighboring states
In our full sportsbook reviews, we make sure to highlight the following criteria:
- Bonus Offers - How valuable is the sign up bonus? Does this sportsbook offer promotions for existing customers or neglect you once your foot's in the door? This is an opportunity to get value, so thoroughly evaluating bonus and promotional offers are very important to determine the true value of a sportsbook.
- Betting Variety - Does a sportsbook offer advanced ways to play like Same Game Parlays? How is the live betting? Can you access an online casino from your sports betting account? A sportsbook must satisfy the needs of many different types of players to be considered elite
- Mobile Experience - How is the sportsbook's mobile app? Is it available on iPhone and Android? Most bets are placed via a mobile device these days, so this is a major element of any sportsbook's overall experience.
- Betting Experience - How does a sportsbook feel? Is the website or app laggy? Does it feel laggy, messy, or outdated? You want to make sure you'll actually have fun on a betting site, not frustrated by your time on the book.
- Payment Options - How many payment options are available? How long do payouts take? Are there minimum requirements for payments and withdrawals? If you want to be secure with your hard-earned money, then this is a crucial element of any sportsbook.
- Customer Support - If an issue arises, will you be able to easily get in contact with customer support? Is it hard to get in contact with an actual person? Hopefully, you won't need it but having a spare tire in your trunk never hurts.
Is FanDuel Sportsbook legal in New York City?
Yes. FanDuel Sportsbook was one of the 9 sportsbooks granted approval to launch in the state of New York.
Is DraftKings Sportsbook legal in New York City?
Yes. DraftKings Sportsbook was one of the 9 sportsbooks granted approval to launch in the state of New York.
More on New York Sports Betting
After years of waiting patiently, it's finally happening - online sports betting has come to New York. But there's still a bit of mystery surrounding some of the finer details. ... Read more